Join us at 10 AM on July 19 and encounter the wonders of nature at Big Rock Park. Discover the plants and trees and learn what animals they might be hiding. Listen for the sounds of life and observe how the environment changes with the seasons. This walk is open to children, ages 5 to 12, and their families, and will be led by Nature Vision, a nonprofit organization dedicated to fostering appreciation and stewardship of our environment. It will last for approximately one hour and cover just under a mile. Meet at the entrance to Big Rock Park on SE 8th Street.
Sammamish Friends Photo Contest For Kids
June 4, 2014 – December 1, 2014
Kids! If you live in Sammamish or attend a school in Sammamish and will enter kindergarten or first through eighth grade in fall 2014, your photo of a Sammamish outdoor scene could be displayed on the Sammamish Friends website.
To participate, complete an entry form and send us a photo of your favorite Sammamish outdoor scene (such as a park or trail) that is within Sammamish or of a scene (such as Tiger Mountain or Cascade Mountains) that can be viewed from Sammamish.
Six photos from the age category kindergarten through fifth grade and six photos from sixth through eigth grades will be selected and displayed on our website after the contest ends.
Prizes will be awarded to the top three photos in each of the two age categories. Questions? Email us!
- Photos must be taken by children who either live in Sammamish or attend school in Sammamish.
- You must be entering kindergarten or grades one through eighth in fall 2014.
- You can submit only one photo.
- You must complete a submission form that is signed by a parent and that includes, in 50 words or less, an explanation of why the photo is your favorite scene.
- If your photo is a winner, we will include your first and last name unless your parents want us to use only your first name.
- Your photo must meet the following specifications:
- Digital, JPEG format only
- 5mb or smaller
- At least 1600 pixels wide (if horizontal image, or 1600 pixels tall if vertical image)
- Photos that include sculptures, statues, paintings, and other works of art will be accepted as long as they do not constitute copyright infringement or fraud.
- Photos must accurately reflect the subject matter and the scene as it appeared. Photos that have been digitally altered beyond standard optimization (removal of dust, cropping, reasonable adjustments to exposure, color and contrast, etc.) will be disqualified. Multiple exposures that have been combined to produce a single “High Dynamic Range” image are acceptable. Images that do not meet these requirements may or may not be judged at the judging panel’s sole discretion.
- Though you retain copyright of the photo, the digital image file submitted will not be returned or acknowledged.
Congratulations to our winner, Brayden Beaty!